Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Words from an old book friend

Our Oregon-bound member sent this email to KAthe who asked it be passed on to our blog. Enjoy! Lisa

Schmoopie,Can you put this on our blog for Feb?
~Kathe----

-Original Message-From: terry huffman <beachouse@oregonfcu.com>
To: Gonsilla1@aol.com
Sent: Sat, 14 Jan 2006
Subject: Dear Bookish Girlfriends

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! Yeah! So many books so little time.....but the time spent with good friends is invaluable. I just wanted to catch you up a bit....I continue to be plagued with body problems....now Terry is really having lots of problems..mostly back...although he certainly is not continuing to develop ALS symptoms....he was diagnosed with that last Jan 3...(2 groups of independent neurologist and much painful testing)...We spent a pretty freaky winter and spring...then suddenly, after selling his boat after diagnosis, Terry went and bought another boat.....things have been better emotionally. We recently have taken in my little friend, Anna, who is 16 years old, and had gotten herself messed up on drugs .. He whole life has pretty much been a train wreck and she just didn't want to be at home and was starting to run away. Long story....because of our relationship (making a quilt with her and hanging out when she was a bit younger), she called me when she felt desperate...asked if she could stay a couple of days.....3 months ago.....She is...and has been since before she came....clean and sober....now doing well in school...and is looking forward to the future. We are a team...Mom and Terry and I...just trying to help Anna find her place in a world that can kill our young off so easily. She is absolutely beautiful and a joy to have around..... My bookgroup here has been meeting for nearly 2 years......It is different, but much the same....the books are great, but now we would meet just to eat and spend time together....by the way...have you read THE ELEGANT GATHERING OF WHITE SNOWS? I just loved the title and that's why I read the book...loved the book! Out group picks out books 6 months in advance.....we just read THE TIME OF OUR SINGING, next areTHE ELEGANT...., A MILLION LITTLE PIECES ( uh, oh----I loved it and the sequel, MY FRIEND LEONARD), FUGITIVE PIECES, DREAMS FROM MY FATHER (Barach Obama), CHRIST THE LORD (Ann Rice). We are only 7 --- but fabulous ladies. I manage a bookstore (volunteer) at our Estuary Interpretive center....and serve on the board of the Friends of .... I also sub a few days a month ... and on Fridays, I do hair at one of our local convalescent hospitals (now that is fun!) This is long...but that's how I talk.....right? I miss you all and the fabulous books we read together....and the Kathe especially, who let me be a part of the reading long before she would let me come in person....I never caused much trouble, did I? LOL Love, Jeannine

No comments:

Post a Comment